An Interesting Experience

I can cross off 'mow a lawn' from the list of things I've never done before. I can also cross off 'get stuck in a tree,' and, 'kill a snake.'

The story:

My friend (we call her Aunt Cendei in our family) needed help with some mowing on her property. Seeing as Lydia was NOT going to do it, and Christian was going to be away somewhere else, I was the natural choice. So, this morning, at 11:00ish I learned the ins and outs of controlling a riding mower, for the first time.

In all honesty, I was doing great, until that tree got in the way.

I had been mowing for about an hour, when I decided that an area under a tree needed to be cut. Being confident of my abilities as an expert mower, I quickly went forward... and jerked to a stop.

I had completely forgotten that there was a u-shaped arch of metal, taller than me, behind my seat. If it had not been there, I could have easily scooted under the branch. But it was there, and it did not fit under the tree.

So, I was stuck, in a tree, in a lawnmower. I managed to get out, and tried to push the mower back to it's proper position (it had gone up in an angle). Needless to say, it didn't budge. The metal was sort-of hooked over some small branches, and wedged against a larger branch. I couldn't get it back by myself, but I could take care of some of the smaller branches. I pulled out my pocket knife (everyone should carry one. I have two. The only problem was, I left my heavy duty one at home. So all I had was this itty-bitty knife with a two inch blade, a penknife, I've heard it called -_-), and began hacking.

Luckily, Aunt Cendei's brother was there, so he was able to get me un-stuck. We laughed it off. Aunt Cendei was gracious enough to get stuck in a ditch before I got stuck in the tree. I'm just glad I wasn't going any faster than I was. If I had, then I probably would have been knocked all the way over.

"What about killing a snake?" You ask. Oh, that. Yes. I ran over a small snake. I'm not sure what kind it was, it was kinda smushed up by the time I was done with it. What I said to myself about it went something like this: "Oops. Wait, is that a snake? Die! Die! Die!"

So that was my first-ever experience of mowing.

~Chloe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookshelf Tag

I fixed it!

AAAAAAA!