"A Wrinkle in Time" Book Review

Sorry, no pictures this time (just a few gifs to emphasize my points).

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle (her name sounds really cool), follows the daring adventures of Meg, her little brother; Charles Wallace, and their friend; Calvin.

Now, Charles Wallace is a very special little boy, he does not talk as much as boys his age usually do, yet he has made friends with three very old, very strange ladies, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which, respectively. He knows exactly when Meg is feeling out of sorts, and knows just how to make her feel better. He is a great comfort to their mother.

Unfortunately, their father has been missing for quite some time. Together, with the Mrs. etc and Calvin, they travel by tesseract to different planets in search of him. Upon their arrival to a planet I've forgotten the name of, they discover that everyone does everything at exactly the same time.

This, of course, is the planet in which their father is being held hostage for not following the IT's rules and regulations.

Long story short, he's rescued, and they all lived happily ever after.

My thoughts?

It was weird.

I felt that Meg was way too whiney. She had no respect for her teachers, or elders in general. It sounded very much like she wanted everything in life to be handed to her, neatly in order, with a frilly pink bow on top. I felt she looked down upon herself way too often, and hung on Calvin at every opportunity. She was badly in need of a back-bone transplant, and a good dose of confidence. All that said, she was not a strong character.


Charles Wallace, on the other hand, was so knowledgeable and sensible, it didn't sound realistic at all. He felt way too mature to be five years old.


Calvin was so-so. I didn't think that enough of his story was shared and used towards the plot. It felt like the author wanted to have him, but didn't quite know what to do with him.


The Mrs. etc were strange, yes, but I liked them the most out of all the characters.

Ok, I'm done with my rant now.

From a scale of one to five, I'd give this a two. I might pick it up again, but I don't like it enough to recommend it to my little sister.

~Chloe

Comments

  1. Hahaha! You used the Tim Gunn gif! I found that gif a while ago myself and really love it:D

    But anyway, A Wrinkle in Time. Yep, definitely weird. I've never actually made it through the book, something I feel a little bad about... But I picked up one of the sequels the other day, and it looked more promising, so we'll see:)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I had no idea who Tim Gunn was until I look up his name...

      Her writing was good, it kept me turning the pages, but the story made me want to face-palm a couple times. Oh well.

      Thanks!
      ~Chloe

      Delete
  2. I've never been able to make it through the book either, but I did enjoy Many Waters. A book that follows the twins in their later years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day, if you have any questions, ask away!

My eyes will twinkle notably, and I'll begin to smile uncontrollably!

But please, keep your comments pleasing to The Lord.

Ni lassui!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookshelf Tag

I fixed it!

AAAAAAA!